Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Betsy McCall


I played with Betsy McCall when I was a little girl, and I loved her. To my great chagrin, as an adult I found out that the doll I had loved and thought was my own had actually belonged to my oldest sister first. I really didn't know. Bummer. So- what did I do? Why, I set out to find some vintage Betsys of my own, of course. As you see, I managed to acquire 5 of them. I'm glad I got them when I did, because I cannot afford them now. They all look so sweet together, along with my precious Tyrolean Girl from Madame Alexander, and my big Heidi and new little Heidi with Goat ( had to have her - didn't I?), Shirley Temple Heidis, waving Hi Heidi Doll, etc. I also used to cut out and play with the Betsy McCall paper dolls from the magazine. I stored them all in a little wooden paint box. I still have the box- but not the paper dolls. I can't picture myself throwing them out ( just not something I do!), but someone did, I guess. My sister gave me a bunch of great paper doll pages, and I use them at the holidays, framed and on display. I still love Betsy.

1 comment:

Tina Dawn said...

I am glad we had the little 8 inch Betsy, she is just the sweetest thing, her cute little face like an Eloise Wilkins illustration. Our long-loved Betsy has now lost her head, her elastic holding her together is gone... But she is cradled in the lap of her big sister, my Madame Alexander Elise doll, and she looks happy there. Betsy is planning on visiting the doll hospital someday in the future, until then she is safe and comfortable.