Sunday, September 14, 2008

Then And Now #11 - Grandma's Molasses

Grandma's Molasses - a recipe booklet from 1946. 101 recipes! I don't think I've ever seen so many molasses recipes in one place. The front of the little book:
And the back, showing how the jar (and Grandma!) looked back then:
And here is how the jar and Grandma look now - yet another in the myriad of changing faces in advertising:
One of my favorite things my sister used to bake was homemade gingerbread. With whipped cream. Yum. I also loved her Molasses Crinkles. And, of course, you have to have gingerbread cookies during the holidays, don't you?

5 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I don't think I can remember a time there wasn't a jar of Grandma's molasses in our refridgerator. All the way back to my Grandma and mom. I still do. One way I use it, is a spoonful added to chili (I know it sounds weird), but I read a recipe one time that won a competition and they added molasses. I think it does enhance the flavors. Twyla

Lorlore said...

Yes, I loved to make both of those. Daddy also loved my Gingerbread, especially warm! Sounds great with Fall arriving soon! I believe the cookies won me some Blue Ribbons at the Fair, back in the day!

Barbara said...

Molasses crinkles ... I can eat a whole batch myself. Which is why I don't make them as often as I'd like.

Tina Dawn said...

I love molasses. You girls wouldn't remember but we used to have a great big barrel of it out by the grain shed under a tree to go with the animals feed). Sometimes a bit would leak out at the spigot spot and I would get it on my finger and lick it. It was like having a sucker. The last thing my granddaughters and I baked together was gingerbread. It is about time for more. Love T

Anonymous said...

I love Grandma's molasses, especially this time of year with all of the fall baking. I also enjoyed it in some awesome bbq sauce I made frequently this summer! Yummy!!!