Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Christmas Books - Part One

I have so many Christmas books that I am going to do a series of posts about them, showing you some favorites in specific categories. I'll call the first installment miscellaneous Little Golden Books.
First up, Uncle Mistletoe, 1953, is a particular favorite. Illustrated by Corinne Malvern and featuring characters created by Marshall Field Department Store. I love the way the interiors are decorated in this book. I imagine some of the items shown in the artwork were available at the dept. store. Adorable:
Christmas Carols, 1946, also w/illus. by Ms. Malvern:
The Chipmunks Merry Christmas, 1959, - with the illustrations by Richard Scarry of Alvin, Simon and Theodore looking very different from the animated versions of my childhood (the original ones!):
Rudolph was illustrated by Richard Scarry as well - I'm unsure as to the date on this one - but who doesn't love Rudolph? ( I can't think of him without the TV show also coming to mind "I'm cute, I'm cute!")
The Christmas ABC, with illustrations by the fabulous Eloise Wilkin - her unique and easily identifiable children are the sweetest:
Frosty The Snowman (reprinted in 1969 from an earlier publication) - Corinne Malvern again. Love it!

So - those are to whet your appetite - more to come....

3 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Our little (year and 1/2 old) grand niece Ella Rose looks exactly like a little Eloise Wilkin illustration. We were all (DS, DH & I) checking her out at Thanksgiving and she could have been one of the models except she was born too late! She has the cutest puffy little cheeks. I love the Uncle Mistletoe and the Christmas Carols Golden Books especially. Great post. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Oh, these are all tugging at my heartstrings! So wonderful you have them. Twyla

Anonymous said...

I love these old Golden Books, my great grandmother worked at Montgomery Wards for years and one year they had a special edition of the Rudolph book and she got it for my sister and I. She also gave us many others and I still have them with her handwriting inside the book. Very sweet.