Friday, April 24, 2009

Peg Bracken's Books

I remember Mother having Peg Bracken's books when we were growing up. She didn't hate to cook - she was just busy. She went back to college when she was in her mid-thirties , earned her degree and became an elementary school teacher. I found this hardbound copy, below at a thrift store the day after Easter. I didn't have a copy of it, and it's in pretty good condition.
I already had this one, the paperback "Appendix To The I Hate To Cookbook". There are some really great-sounding recipes in these books!
I really don't HATE to cook, either. It's just that I'm kind of with this lady on the card, below. "Her interests lay more in leisure than in cooking". (Card printed by Cath Tate Cards).
I haven't yet found copies of her "I Hate To Housekeep" books, but I'll be on the lookout. So - do I hate to housekeep? Oh, don't even get me started on that one.....

8 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I love those books! I would SO love to read them again now that I have housekeeping and cooking to do! I am with you, cooking is fine, but housekeeping... what is that, exactly? I have managed to keep my house in these trying times, does that count? Well, off to work, I didn't know I had to work today, but that's okay, it's right in town by the hospital, and by Cleo, who I need to feed for our other Gold Country Sis. Love T

yosemite faith said...

housekeeping? uh uh.....cooking - used to a lot but have not in so many years that it has become a struggle. luckily john loves good food and is a great cook.

Heidi Ann said...

Faith- You are very lucky to have a husband who willingly cooks for you!

yosemite faith said...

don't i know it!! his mother was a wonderful cook and everyone in his family is very comfortable in the kitchen. my mom was always so busy working that it wasn't part of our family experience to cook together.

Mermaids of the Lake said...

Those books look great. I had never heard of them. I will have to keep my eye out for them now. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh, Heidi, I would love to have those books. Do you remember the commercial? "Hi, my name's Peg Bracken, and I wrote The I Hate to Cook Book." I don't even remember what it was advertising. I was just entranced with Peg Bracken saying that for some reason when I was young.

Anonymous said...

Heidi, you look beautiful!

Miss Jean said...

The I Hate To Cook book was a staple in my house when my kids were little. Her Tuna Noodle Casserole was a favorite in our house. Something they both would eat.