Friday, October 9, 2009

Vintage Crocheted Shawl

I bought this gorgeous vintage shawl years ago, probably in a shop or at an antiques fair. I love it, and I haven't ever seen another one. The label says "Made In Austria for Bullock's Los Angeles". The front:
and the back:
I had to buy this McCall's Needlework and Crafts magazine when I saw this inside! Mine doesn't have fringe, and also has fewer colors, of course- but it is a very similar idea. And, it does say in the article "crocheted decades ago in Austria, ... our silk shawl was discovered at an antiques fair in California!". You can "create a similar shawl in the same technique."
The one shown is the vintage one - they give directions to make something similar, not a look-alike. Still, it makes me wish I knew how to crochet. I think you might need to be an expert for this one - but what do I know?
I think I will just have to stick with the one I've got,
and that's just fine with me.

6 comments:

Jennifer D said...

Fascinating! I do crochet but I've never liked using that thin yarn/thread.

Tina Dawn said...

It is beautiful. Although it isn't victorian, I think it would make a good addition to a victorian costume. Great find, Heidi. Love T

Unknown said...

It's beautiful!

yosemite faith said...

i have a shawl (navy) a dress (pink) and a mini skirt (oversized granny square inspired black with other colors) that my dear mom made for me. i still have them. also lots of hats & scarfs. i can crochet but my mom was really good. you should try it heidi!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Oh, this is So beautiful! Twyla

Victorian Gold Mines said...

Great pics of Vintage Crocheted Shawl. Nice Shawl.......