Thursday, April 22, 2010

From Yosemite Faith

My friend Faith sent me a delightful little surprise recently out of the blue! A MINIATURE painting of Yosemite for my dollhouse! (Yosemite Falls, from eBay seller marysfineart):
It now has a place of honor above the mantle inside my dollhouse:
She also sent me this great vintage postcard:
And as if that wasn't enough, a while back she sent me a fabulous matted set of a series of four enlarged photographs her husband John had taken of the natural firefall at Yosemite. They are gorgeous. Here is a vintage postcard showing the firefall (with real fire) that took place for years at the park:

This article from the Modesto Bee newspaper tells the story of the natural firefall. (Enlarge it to read it, please!)

And, just because it seemed like a good idea to add them, here are two more vintage postcards of Yosemite . Both were mailed to my father-in-law. The top one in 1935, the other in 1941:
As Faith always says: Peace, Love, Yosemite, The Great Lakes!
Thank you, Faith! I truly appreciate your friendship, kindness and generosity!

8 comments:

yosemite faith said...

OMG the title woke me right up!!! looks great in your dollhouse! love that you included the article and those true vintage 'linen' (i think they are) yosemite postcards are sooo cool. supposed to be a magical spring in yosemite this year - lots of snow for the spring run off. and as always - peace, love, yosemite & the great lakes. thanks so much for such a honor heidi!

Tina Dawn said...

That is the most wonderful gift I could even think of! And about the Firefall, I was going to do a blog on it someday but you beat me to it! I have been collecting postcards of the firefall for years. I need to print out your article from the Bee to add to my info on the firefall. I wish I could have seen it. There was a show about it on Channel 6 (PBS) also that was very interesting. I may still do a blog on it someday to show all the different postcards. From the top, at the bottom, etc. Thank you Faith for your great darling little gift to Heidi, it is a perfect addition to the miniature living room. Love T

yosemite faith said...

i forgot - happy earth day! perfect post for today - yosemite!!!

The Viewliner Limited said...

The painting is awesome. Very nice. Great postcards of a Great Place. I saw the show that Huell Houser did on PBS. Great piece. Keep posting postcards Heidi Ann. I love 'em. Richard.

Heidi Ann said...

You are quite deserving of the honor, Faith - and you are very welcome!!

Heidi Ann said...

Oh, Tina - yes, you MUST do a post about the Firefall!
My favorite of your cards is the one that glows in the dark. I dream of finding one some day.

Unknown said...

I've never heard of the fire fall but how wonderful! I bet it is just breathtaking to see in person.

Jennifer D said...

Great post and a great gift. I live on the other side of Yosemite and I do visit often, it is one of my favorite places. I have heard about the firefall and seen the show on PBS but your postcards are something new to me! Thank you for sharing.

That "Yosemite Faith" painting is fabulous. Do you sell them? you should...