Thursday, July 28, 2011

Strum Me A Song; I'll Just Sing Along

I discovered while perusing my vintage magazines (yet again!) that young people with guitars were very often featured in advertising back in the 1970's. My favorite is the first one, below- and ad for Rit Dye. Very cool tie-dyed decor! oh, and I'll take that little gal sitting on the window shelf, and one of those monkeys, too, please:

This next one was a Midol ad, circa 1970

Lenox ad from 1974:
An ad for Smith Corona typewriters. The ad encouraged girls to "take a typing course at school this year", because , even if you were not sure what you would end up doing, "whatever you end up doing in life you'll be thinking. And typing helps thinking." "It nudges your creativity. It can improve your spelling. and even a beginner can learn to type twice as fast as writing by hand."

I can tell you this for sure: I kind of wish I had made the decision to learn how to do both way back then - typing AND playing the guitar. I actually believe my life would have taken different turns if I had.
You know, they say hindsight is 20/20.
But my eyesight isn't that good anymore.
Since I don't play, will you strum me a song?
Because what I CAN do is happily (very happily) sing along!

5 comments:

lorlore said...

Yes, you are right about the typing. Back in High School in the 70's, what was important to me was Band as an elective. Never had typing, and now, with all the computer use, I so wish I had!!!!!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Would you believe I used to play guitar?! I even had an electric one! It was a fun hobby for awhile, but I never really got very good. If I had I don't think I would have given it up so easily. The things I learned in typing class are still with me, I can't say that about many of my other classes. Have a nice day, Heidi! Twyla

Tina Dawn said...

I learned to type for all those very reasons, took it in summer school, and I am very glad I did. It helped me get a great paying job later, and is very handy with computer use. AND your life is not over, you could still learn to type and/or to play the guitar, you know. Old(er) dogs CAN learn new tricks. If the desire is there, I know you could do it. Love T

yosemite faith said...

i took typing and well.....my mom could type faster than any typewriter could go - with no mistakes. she was amazing at so many things (but not everything) - too bad she didn't realize how many people thougt she was amazing - like me she always dwelled on the negative about herself. but i digress, i love all the old ads and you know how i am about tie dye.

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

I took typing and guitar. I type with four fingers now (even tho I have all 10 lol) and I haven't played guitar in years. But it was the thing to do back then, wasn't ti?