Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Granddaughter's Birthday And A Bit of Coloma History

Good morning here. I want to wish a Happy Birthday (a day late, since I post on Wednesdays) to my Granddaughter Natalie. Happy birthday, and enjoy your 14th year!
 Next I am going to share an excerpt from the Mountain Democrat, Placerville, from 65 years ago, January 22, 1948, "Coloma Goal of Thousands On Centennial."
 El Dorado County, through its county centennials committee, and people of Coloma and vicinity in particular, are prepared to participate Saturday in the observance of the one hundredth anniversary of the discovery of gold by James W. Marshall at Sutter's Mill.
 The principal event of the day which the county centennials committee has arranged, is the historical parade at 11:15 o'clock Saturday morning, which will be led by the noted star of western films, Roy Rogers, riding his favorite horse, "Trigger".  Mrs. Rogers, Dale Evans of the films, will ride beside her husband.
 As has been the custom for several years, the people of Coloma and vicinity have arranged the gold discovery centennial dance in which costumes of the pioneer period will predominate, to be held Saturday night at the Coloma Community Hall.
I wish the parade was this Saturday, I would love to get a glimpse of Roy Rogers and Trigger.

6 comments:

sapna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yosemite faith said...

love this and especially the post office in coloma. hope your granddaughter had a fantastic birthday

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your granddaughter! Wishing her a wonderful year ahead!

I love gold country history! Have to really go exploring around there more, introduce my husband to our local history. We don't get much of that here in Roseville, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

I missed this. Sidelined for a short time, but I'm back. Yes, Anusha, I have to go exploring the gold country more too. I think a multi-day leisurly drive down the whole length of Hwy 49 would be great.

Had I known this was happening in Coloma in 1965, I would have been up here from Walnut Creek. Wow, Roy & Dale! Hey, does anyone else love Nevada City at Christmas time?

Tina Dawn said...

Hi Jim. It was 65 years ago in 1949. not in 1965. I would have definitely gone if it was in '65! Tina

Heidi Ann said...

I hope Natalie had a good birthday, and I always enjoy seeing your neat old postcards, Tina!!