Saturday, July 6, 2013

Oklahoma!

I had the distinct pleasure of going to see our local Sierra Repertory Theatre's production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma!" at the Historic Fallon House Theatre in Columbia on Wednesday.

 Their productions are always first-rate, and this one was no exception. A lovely young lady named Samantha Bruce stars as Laurey, and she has a truly Broadway stage-worthy voice. She is spectacular. She also played Cinderella last year, and it was a delight to see and hear her again.
If you enjoy a good musical, and you are able to make it to Columbia during it's duration, you are in for treat .
I don't know who designed their program cover and poster, but it looks pretty great, too.
I love Rodgers and Hammerstein's music so much, now I am going to have to put on my old movie soundtrack LP and listen to Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae - and look around and see if I can find my VHS of the movie.....at least, I THINK I have it somewhere!
I have just about every other musical under the sun.
We Gold Country Girls were lucky enough to see Gordon MacRae back in 1977 as Ben Rumson in "Paint Your Wagon" at the Music Circus in Sacramento. Sadly, he passed away in 1986.
But, at least, the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein lives on, not only in the films, but also on stage regularly as live theatre groups stage new productions of their classic musicals year after year, for all of us to enjoy forever.

1 comment:

Tina Dawn said...

Oh nice! I wish I had known about it. I always enjoy the productions there. Love T