Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Smokey Bear Says "Please Be Careful"

Tina and I must have been on the same wave length, because before I read her post last week about fires, I had been planning to do a quick post about the fire danger that is always prevalent in the Gold Country during the hot summer season.
 I found the Smokey Bear embroidered patch above at a thrift store.
And I took both of the photos below at the California State Fair. Every year, they have an exhibit about fire danger, featuring our old pal Smokey.
"Fire Danger EXTREME Today" - that's pretty much every day here in our area, once all of the wild grasses and brush have turned so dry. And if we have lightning storms? That's the last thing you want, believe me. It sparks fires all over the place! Scary stuff.
I found this pinback button at a thrift store, too:
Remember, just like Smokey says "Only YOU Can Prevent Forest Fires". Be sure and douse your campfire - if you go camping.
And keep our area (and every other place, too!) safe.
(Yosemite poster and the little waterfall above were featured in the Tuolumne County exhibit booth at the State Fair this year.)


5 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Yes, please take extra special care with anything that can cause a fire, including mowers and weed-eaters and even your vehicle. Great post, love the Smokey patch! Love T

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a neat collection you have started here! My sisters and I loved hearing the story of Smokey the Bear from my Dad when we were little girls.
A while back I blogged about Smokey the Bear. http://patchofzinnias.blogspot.com/2010/05/s-is-for-stars-shawnee-indian-mission.html

Andy's Attic said...

I've liked Smokey since I was a child. He is an icon and everyone should heed his words!

Rob and Monica said...

Love this post! I remember when I was an impressionable young child, I took Smokey's words very seriously and felt a sense of obligation to make sure there were no fires around. (Rob)

Jack Winchell Smokey's Photos said...

Thanks for being such good friends of Smokey Bear. I am going to try to link your blog to my Smokey Bear photo Facebook page so more people will see you message.