Saturday, April 30, 2016

Cedar Waxwings

I'll be sorry to turn over my calendar to a new month tomorrow because April's lovely image is the gorgeous Cedar Waxwing photo you see below.
These birds fascinate me; there is something about the look of them that I just love. Their "masks", the touch of red on their wings; they're just so pretty, so unique.
Just about a week ago, my husband was telling me "Don't leave your car parked in the driveway. Not even for a few minutes. Make sure to pull it into the garage."
This was because the Cedar Waxwings were all congregating in the sycamore tree that shades our driveway. Then he showed me what they had already left behind on our brick patio in the back yard.
 Let's just say that he didn't want to have to clean up after them....
Here's an image from one of the books by John James Audubon; you have to admit they are stunning:
 I was happy to find this vintage card, below, at a thrift store.
That's what they're after in our yard - the berries:
Because they come around every year, and because both of us love them despite their messes, I had to get this beautiful Hallmark ornament for my husband for Christmas the year it came out:
It's one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen.
Thank you, Hallmark - you captured their beauty perfectly!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Believe it or not, my mom received that same card back in the 70s from a friend of hers. She liked it so much that she made it into a plaque-- decoupaged/varnished it to stained wood (that was a popular hobby back then). I'm not sure if that picture is still around today. And, yes, waxwings are very beautiful! Nice post!

Tina Dawn said...

What a lovely post. You like them, they like you (or at least your tree!) How delightful. Love T

Tami Von Zalez said...

They are stunning birds. I wonder if I have been mistaking them for goldfinches.

Sunnyana said...

Every year for a few weeks Cedar Waxwings congregate in the trees at work that have little berries. The trees seem to be alive with all the movement and sounds coming from them. I've tried to take pictures but they don't stay in one place for more than a few seconds and they fly back and forth between trees. Thanks for this post.